Monday 28 January 2013

You remind me of the babe... Happy Labyrinth Day!!

[Edited due to an obvious and daft spelling mistook then I just had a bit of a play because it's Labyrinth. And why the hell not?!?

Last year I actually saw this terrific film at this wonderful ancient cinema in Leeds - the Hyde Park Picture House, accompanied by my occasional partner in crime and soul sister @Gazpachodragon and loads of other awesome tweeps. 

Overall it was a fantastic experience (and one I look forward to dragging @scampykat too in the future) but the absolute highlight had to be when we blew bubbles over the balcony onto the watchers below during the ballroom dance scene. There were a group of kids overheard to exclaim that it was just like 3D.

Just Epic]




 Well, according to twitter it is anyway (the Labyrinth society seems to have the first week in May as the actual date but sod that)!!






I love Love LOVE this film, and its soundtrack, and have waxed lyrical on my love for the Tokyopop comic sequels on t'book blog (link? oh if I must ;) Return to Labyrinth). In fact, I think I'm using the little worm as my bookclub icon on twitter at this very moment!!

And I'm not alone. 

Though originally devised as a children's film, the film has become cult viewing for adults, and ever since 1997, there is a masquerade ball held in Hollywood where participants dress up in costumes inspired by the film.
*Sigh*, one day Neevil, one day...

Spotify



Like The Princess Bride, there are certain quotes that have become firmly entrenched in the minds of the fandom. Bear in mind though, that once you start - especially with one of the songs - the diehards are likely to keep going for an hour.
At least. 

And the gods help you if you have a karaoke machine...

This isn't an exercise for the faint-hearted. It's like The Matrix. 
But with Henson puppets. 
And far more serious. 



Should you wish to fake it, try some of the following on for size:
  • Sarah: Give me the child. Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child that you have stolen. For my will is as strong as yours, my kingdom is as great. You have no power over me.
  • Goblin: That's not it. Where did she learn that rubbish? It doesn't even start with 'I wish'!
  • Goblin: Shut up. 
  • Other Goblin: *You* shut up
  • Sarah: I wish the goblins would come and take you away ...RIGHT NOW
  • Sarah: You really wanted to talk to me, didn't you? Practically broke down the door!
  • Jareth: Well...laugh!
  • Wicked Stepmother: She treats me like a wicked stepmother in a fairy tale, no matter what I say.
  • Ludo: Sarah? Sarah friend!
  • Goblins: Hey...her head don't come off... 
  • Sarah: That's not fair. 
  • Jareth You say that so often, I wonder what your basis for comparison is?
  • Worm: 'Ello. Sarah: Did you just say hello. Worm: No I said 'Ello! But that's close enough.
  • Jareth: Turn back now Sarah...before it's too late...
  • Worm: Come inside and meet the missus.
  • Jareth: Nothing? Nothing?! Nothing, tra la la!
  • Tiny guy under stone: Your mothers a fragging aardvark!
  • Hoggle: The cleaners! The Bog of Stench! You sure got his attention.
  • Jareth: Such a pity...
  • Worm: Don't go that way. Don't ever go that way. ...If she'd 'ave kept on goin' down that way, she'd 'ave gone straight to that castle.
  • Jareth: So the Labyrinth's a piece of cake is it? Well, let's see how you deal with this little slice...
  • The Hat: It is so stimulating being your hat!
  • Helping Hands: She chose down! Other helping hands: She chose down? Even more helping hands: She chose down!!! Sarah: Is that wrong? Helping Hands: Too late now!
  • Jareth: I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.
  • Jareth:You remind me of the babe. Goblins: What babe? Jareth  The babe with the power. Goblins: What power? Jareth  The power of Voodoo. Goblins: Who do? Jareth  You do. Goblins: Do what? Jareth: you remind me of the babe...
  • Fire Goblins: Don't got no problems. Ain't got no suitcase. Ain't got no clothes to worry about. Ain't got no real estate or jewelry or gold mines to hang me up.
  • Jareth: It's exhausting living up to your expectations of me.
  • Hoggle: Should you need us...
(I'm so proud, I managed to avoid all mention of David Bowie's epically tight leggings...*D'oh*)



2 comments:

  1. Its Jareth not Jared :|

    ReplyDelete
  2. have fixed the spelink mistook my honourable anonymous friend.

    thank you kindly for your note on this matter.

    i bid you...adieu...

    ReplyDelete