Sunday 3 July 2011

Comic Book Tradition

In our most recent podcast, Culturally Fixated 2.0, I talked very briefly about seeing Spiderman and X-men movies on my birthday.  It was a ritual which began with the first X-Men movie in 2000.  I took a chance on taking my, then, 11 year old sister to see it, assuming that she would get into it.  I was right! One of the benefits of having a birthday on the 3rd week of May is that there is usually a big summer movie to watch.  I have spent recent birthdays watching 3 X-Men movies, 3 Spiderman and various other big event movies.  This year it was a little more low key, spending it watching 'Win, Win'.
I want all of the movies we talked about during the episode to be good, but I just don't think they will.  My big hope is that they don't screw up the Avengers movie, but again, who knows? Now what I want is for there to be a Deadpool movie, and for it to be good, and a really good Gambit story. 

I can live without a stand alone Gambit, but he really needs to be a big part of the next X-movie.  The character is in good hands with Taylor Kitsch, one of my favourite young actors and there are acres of backstory to explore.  But then, I'm happy anytime Kitsch gets something good to do!
Another Friday Night Lights alum dabbled with the superhero/comic book genre in recent months, this time not successfully.  She was slated to be Wonder Woman in David E. Kelley's reboot of the show.  She looked good in the outfit, is statuesque and a hell of an actress.  I would have given it a shot, but the powers that be decided otherwise.

Well, hopefully one day we can have a Hannibal King spin off and I can rest my man crush on Ryan Reynold's penis pointers once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment